What's a Stem Cell Drive?
So what can you expect to do when you register at a stem cell drive? It's very simple!
What To Do at a Stem Cell Drive:
Here's what to expect when you register:
Now for Some More Details...
1. Pre-Screening – identify registrant’s eligibility
- Registrant must be between 17 – 50 years of age.
- Registrant must be covered by provincial healthcare (i.e. have OHIP) or Canadian military health insurance. International students and visitors are unfortunately not eligible to register with OneMatch/Hema-Quebec. Please visit our registries website to register online with your own country.
- Once deemed eligible, registrant will be given a medical questionnaire/consent form.
2. Registration – complete questionnaire
- Registrant will complete both front & back of medical questionnaire and sign the back of the form.
- Registrant will verify that the name on his/her Health card is exactly the same as the name on the registration form and that all questions in the consent form have been answered.
3. Oral Swabbing – collect DNA sample from the mouth (Video)
- Registrant will fill out a test requisition form and complete 4 labels with name, birthdates, and date of registration and attach 1 label to each swab stick.
- Registrant will ensure the name on the label is the same as the name on OHIP card.
- If registrant has eaten within the last 30 minutes, rinse mouth with water before proceeding to the next step.
- Registrant will open the oral swab kit, which contains 4 large cotton swabs and proceed to collect DNA sample from his/her mouth.
- Swab the inside of the mouth using 1 cotton swab at a time.
- Place the cotton swab back in the sponge holder.
- When all 4 swabs are placed in the holder put the kit back into the envelope along with registration form and test requisition form.
- Do not seal envelope and return to OneMatch or OtherHalf representative.
4. Follow Up – ensure registrant is in the database
- Registrant will receive a letter from OneMatch between 3 – 6 weeks after registration that he/she is in the stem cell database. If after 6 weeks, a letter has not arrived from OneMatch, please call 1-888-TO DONATE to inquire about the status of the registration.
- Registrant will be given a reminder notice to call OneMatch to follow up his/her registration status.